Some censuring Readers will scornfully say, why hath this Lady writ her own life? Since none cares to know whose daughter she was or whose wife she is, or how she was bred, or what fortunes she had, or how she lived, or what humor or disposition she was of? I answer that is true, that 'tis to no purpose to the Readers, but it is to the Authoress, because I write it for my own sake, not theirs. ~Margaret Cavendish in 1655

Saturday, September 17, 2005

kolkata news

So, I have been enjoying the Kolkata (Calcutta) area for about a day and a half now. I have bought several 3-pieces (heavy modern) for myself and gifts for the upcoming Eid holiday. The newspapers have a ton of ads for Durga Puga sales starting this weekend, so I lucked out! The only annoying thing is that the locals of the area think I'm a Joe Schmoe tourist and don't know crap. I whip out the Bangla and they still bother me. Then I tell them I mind very much and finally they don't disturb me. Ugh. I need to go to a place that just kinda pleasantly ignores tourists. If I want/need something, I'll ask. Good Grief!

As for the trip over, Biman Air was completely Bangladeshi to the nth degree!!!! They didn't announce anything, they were 2 hours late and people didn't understand the meaning of a que. The airplane, I firmly believe, was older than me and decorated in that garish orange floral pattern from the 60s/70s. You know the one. I think that I prayed every second that I was in that plane. I will probably be doing the same when I get back on it to return to Dhaka. The fun and joy of 3rd world airplanes. The best part was the fact that the stewardess' opened the pilot's door whenever they wanted to during the flight. While we were landing, the door to the cockpit flew open. I guess they aren't too worried about terrorists here. As always, I had my purse ready to whap the crap out of anyone who tries to mess with me. grrr.....

I haven't done too much siteseeing, since that isn't too much fun alone. The next time I come, I plan on bringing someone with me. I don't know how Friend Ebony can just travel around by herself and have the best of times. I think that I need that other person to get me out of my shell.

Oh, well... back to shopping. I'm going to pick up some beautiful teeps (the stickers that go between your eyebrows) and see what kind of saris are out there.

No comments: