Some censuring Readers will scornfully say, why hath this Lady writ her own life? Since none cares to know whose daughter she was or whose wife she is, or how she was bred, or what fortunes she had, or how she lived, or what humor or disposition she was of? I answer that is true, that 'tis to no purpose to the Readers, but it is to the Authoress, because I write it for my own sake, not theirs. ~Margaret Cavendish in 1655

Monday, October 31, 2005

happy halloween and eid muburak

This past week saw very little action, except work and home. Yesterday was exciting because 58 new Peace Corps Volunteers were sworn in at the American Embassy. I put on my Eid sari (Carrie called it Prissy Barbie Sari) and went over there and saw for myself how boring speeches are given! Those poor campers! Not a single exciting speech in the lot and there were plenty to choose from. Afterwards, at a party given at a former Volunteer's house, it was a good time had by all. It was supposed to be a potlock and Carrie and I contributed some street iftar food~ I'm sure if the other ex-pats had known, I don't think they would have risked eating it (fear of stomach problems being the deterent)! However, as it was, we went home with just a small smattering of leftovers. Yeah!

This evening should be fun! PCVs Molly and Scott have Friend Micah here from America (land of pork and cheese) and they will be staying the night at our house. Tomorrow they will be going to Srimongal to see the tea gardens. How lovely is that?

And the highlight of this blog? I will have the next week off for Eid holiday (actually a combo of Shob-E-Quadar, Eid-ul-Fitre, a weekend, and National Solidarity Day) I will be staying home, cleaning, reading, maybe cooking and writing. Everything will be closed down, so that will put the kibash on shopping and other good stuff like that. That reminds me... need to hit the grocery store on the way home. Take care, have some fun and see you campers next week!

No comments: