Some censuring Readers will scornfully say, why hath this Lady writ her own life? Since none cares to know whose daughter she was or whose wife she is, or how she was bred, or what fortunes she had, or how she lived, or what humor or disposition she was of? I answer that is true, that 'tis to no purpose to the Readers, but it is to the Authoress, because I write it for my own sake, not theirs. ~Margaret Cavendish in 1655

Saturday, November 18, 2006

banned books

I'm just about on my soapbox with banned or challenged books. I've added a new link to the American Library Association's website on books that are challenged. So, be a rebel and read a challenged book.... or you may already have, if you've read a Judy Blume book or the Harry Potter series. However, alot of the titles suggest to me that they explain the birds and the bees... like What's Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-up Guide for Parents and Daughters by Lynda Madaras (she also has the same title, except for boys, that is on the list also). My favorite author, Isabel Allende, is also on the list for her Pultizer winning (I think it's a Pultizer, but it could be some other prize) book The House of Spirits.

So, visit your library today and see which banned books you can read and demand all 100!

No comments: