Some censuring Readers will scornfully say, why hath this Lady writ her own life? Since none cares to know whose daughter she was or whose wife she is, or how she was bred, or what fortunes she had, or how she lived, or what humor or disposition she was of? I answer that is true, that 'tis to no purpose to the Readers, but it is to the Authoress, because I write it for my own sake, not theirs. ~Margaret Cavendish in 1655

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

the great hardin co talking tour - latest installment

Hello. My name is bideshigirl and I will talk for long periods of time this evening about my 3 years in the 'desh. Here are the highlights:
  • I was very white in a very brown country
  • The food is generally in baby pooh colors eaten with rice and your right hand
  • You don't want to know what you do with your left hand
  • I came home with head lice once and pin worms the second time
  • Giardia isn't a bad intestinal parasite to have
  • Tapeworms are
  • You can beat children there and they offer the stick to do it
  • 'Desh is the most corrupt country in the world, 5 years running (TI)
  • In political chaos currently (ok, moreso than normal)
  • The clothing is very bright and colorful
  • Yep, 85% of the country is Muslim
  • Yep, it floods yearly and if they're unlucky, twice a year

Those were the highlights. Thanks for snacks and decaf coffee afterwards. It's been pleasant.

No comments: